Get current buffer name from command line?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Get current buffer name from command line?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 13:32:34 +0200

Hello,

this is not something I really need, but I was wondering whether I can
get the (name of) the current buffer from command line?  Here is an
interesting exchange I had with Eshell ("*GNU Emacs*" being the
*other* buffer):

Welcome to the Emacs shell

~ $ emacsclient -e "(current-buffer)"
#<buffer  *server*>
~ $ emacsclient -e "(other-buffer)"
#<buffer *GNU Emacs*>
~ $ emacsclient -e "(progn (bury-buffer) (current-buffer))"
#<buffer  *server*>
~ $ emacsclient -e "(progn (kill-buffer) (current-buffer))"
#<buffer *GNU Emacs*>
~ $ emacsclient -e "(progn (kill-buffer) (other-buffer))"
#<buffer *GNU Emacs*>
~ $

I looked into both the Emacs manual and the Elisp manual, but found
nothing to explain this behavior (I expected to see #<buffer *eshell*>
at least once...)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski