Re: rmail

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: rmail
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 13:43:42 +0300

> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 06:28:48 -0400
> From: "visaris tds.net" <visaris@tds.net>
> Cc: "visaris tds.net" <visaris@tds.net>
>
> M-x rmail now fectches mail from the mailbox /var/spool/mail/visaris which
> exim maintains (I don't have to push bits around myself anylonger),
> however...
>
> Instead of simply showing me my messages, emacs evidently executes them in
> the sense that something automagicly causes a new buffer to appear which
> seems to be a reply-to-message buffer with To and From fields filled in
> (and I get beeps from the PC speaker).
>
> The above happens only with some messages, which leads me to believe that
> something about a particular message causes code to be executed.
>
> Is this a "feature"?  How do I tell emacs that it please should refrain
> from automagicly executing code on behalf of email messages!!!

Emacs doesn't have such a "feature".

Does this happen in "emacs -Q"?  If not, look in your ~/.emacs for
something that causes this.

If this does happen in "emacs -Q", please submit a bug report with a
minimal mbox file (that's the file that movemail fetches from
/var/spool/mail/visaris) that can be used to reproduce the problem.