Re: visiting remote files on webserver

From: lee
Subject: Re: visiting remote files on webserver
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 22:45:47 +0200

saint@eng.it writes:

> lee writes:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > isn't something like the following already available by default:
>  >
>  >
>  > (defun my-curl-find-file ()
>  >   "Use curl to retrieve something and create a buffer to display what
>  > was retrieved.
>
> What about:
>
> (find-file "/scp:user@machie:/path/to/file")
>
> it is possible to use it interactively
>
> C-x C-f /scp:user@machine:/path/to/file

That requires to be able to log in to the remote host.  In this
particular case, I wanted to get a script from some web server I don't
have any special access to.  I could have downloaded and saved and
visited it, but why not load it directly into a buffer.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.