Re: How to copy and paste from unity to emacs in the terminal version ?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: How to copy and paste from unity to emacs in the terminal version ?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 18:17:29 -0600

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > The traditional X controls are to highlight using the left mouse
> > button.  Then paste using the middle mouse button.  Shift-Insert is
> > also available as a paste control.
>
> Indeed, this is the traditional bindings to control the PRIMARY selection.
>
> > Unfortunately (for me anyway) the Microsoft C-c, C-x, C-v controls are
> > permeating and the traditional methods are becoming broken.  Therefore
> > your experience may be different depending upon configuration.
>
> I haven't seen much real breakage in that area.  But these key bindings
> typically control the CLIPBOARD selection instead, so if you're not
> aware of the distinction between PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD selection
> (and/or if you don't know or aren't sure which is used by your program
> and/or by the key sequence you used), then indeed, sometimes it looks
> like it's just broken.

I am familiar with the differences between the primary selection and
the clipboard.  However the resulting behavior of cutting text and
pasting text shouldn't matter whether you are using one or the other.
Except that it does.

In the end anything that prevents being able to highlight text with a
click and drag of the left mouse button and then being able to paste
that text with the middle button appears as breakage whether it is
actually the clipboard or the primary selection executing the details.

Bob