Re: Out-of-control backups!

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Out-of-control backups!
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:34:43 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Well, config files (especially the allmighty ~/.emacs
> and ~/.gnus.el) might be worth the extra management
> effort. At least I don't want to lose them when my
> harddrive passes away.

Yeah, I have some 50 files of Elisp and as many with
zsh functions and a big chunk with everything else as
well, if all that disappeared that would be a black day
indeed. So I use rsync to beam it to a safe space
regularly. I'm not opposed backups, I just think
version control with branching and commits and all
isn't called for. Because the code isn't that
interconnected, it doesn't break and experimentation in
one direction that needs to be isolated doesn't happen.
Only if you are very used to do it from other projects
you may include that activity to your config files with
so little effort, then it is another matter, of course.

--
underground experts united