Re: writing your own theme and tabbar

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: writing your own theme and tabbar
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 20:56:09 +0200

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I'm trying to develop/write my own theme ...

Before you do that, be sure you got the right face.

1. What is the name of the face you would like to
   change?

2. Change that face, either with custom-set-faces or
   `set-face-attribute'.

Did that work?

Here, you can find a method to do step one, and an example
how custom-set-faces can be used:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/faces.el

> And what I'm looking for in the tab of the buffer
> that I'm in is a black background with red text. But
> its not happening, instead what I'm getting is red
> text on a light green background.

Have you confirmed you are setting the correct face?

If so, can you confirm that you can set the face at
all? Set it to some arbitrary color - did it change?

> But, in buffers like *org-agenda-mode* or
> *org-agenda* it is showing _exactly_ what I'm looking
> for. Red text on a black background.

If you have confirmed you are setting the correct face,
and that it responds to a change, you can use
describe-face in those modes that you mention to check
out the faces that you like (first, find out what those
faces are). Now set the face that you don't like to the
same values.

> Tabbar default is black text on a light-green
> background, and this seems to be the code-source for
> it as its the only place where 'green' is mentioned,
> from "tabbar.el"

That's too reverse a way of doing it. I prefer the
method I describe (surprise). But If you do it your way,
sure, change tabbar-modified and see if it changes what
you want to change. But even if it does, it doesn't
mean that's the face - the sought-after face can be
inheriting from tabbar-modified and not setting that
property itself.

> How can I achieve my goal please of red foreground on
> a black background for every tab/buffer that is
> currently in use

Find out what that face is, see if you can change it,
find out what you want to change it to, change it.

Good luck!

--
underground experts united