Re: A guide on setting up C/C++ development environment for Emacs

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: A guide on setting up C/C++ development environment for Emacs
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:39:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:59:32 AM UTC+5:30, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Rusi writes:

> [snip]

> > Personally I often find FLOSS folks at least as dishonest as the corporate
> > types
> > [No surprise, given that human beings are the same...]

On second thought I'd tone that down - "at least as dishonest" to "just as
dishonest"
And then it directly and trivially follows from "human beings are human beings"

> Completely agree. The cause of the dishonesty varies, through. The FLOSS
> folks tend to think "what is good for me must be good for everybody
> else, and those who think different are idiots." Also, they put more
> value on following group thinking than on doing cold assessments, even
> on those matters that can be assesed on objective terms. BTW, this is
> characteristic of religious behavior (or religious behavior is just
> another expression of those attitudes.)

Sorry I cant let that pass without a protest!  In my experience the
scientific types are more bigoted than the religious ones.  As an
antidote to bigotry - which is probably what you mean by 'religious
behavior' - I recommend the following words of Nagarjuna:

| Everything is real and is not real,
| Both real and not real,
| Neither real nor not real.
| This is Lord Buddha's teaching.

About group-think: Yes its not nice. But oftentimes very necessary.
Here is something I wrote on the python-list just yesterday about why
one should choose git over other VCSes.