Re: Flycheck reports are never satisfying!?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Flycheck reports are never satisfying!?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 20:35:06 +0200

Hallo Sebastian,

Sebastian Wiesner wrote:
> Am 28.08.2014 um 17:39 schrieb Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com>:
>> Sebastian Wiesner wrote:
>>> However, as far as "init.el" is concerned, Flycheck should
>>> automatically enable package.el for syntax checking.  This doesn't
>>> seem to work in your case, and indicates that there is something
>>> unusual about your setup, so please open an issue in Flycheck's
>>> issue tracker at https://github.com/flycheck/flycheck/issues
>>
>> In my case, in fact, my init.el is just a stub with my really really
>> personal settings. It calls another file with more general settings,
>> which I share with colleagues. All my problems are in this last file,
>> which is of course much bigger.
>>
>> This particularity can explain that package is not enabled, right?
>
> I presume that this “shared” file is not in "~/.emacs.d/", is it?  In
> that case, Flycheck can't know that it's part of your Emacs
> configuration, and treats it as if it were any random Emacs Lisp file,
> which means that packages aren't enabled.
>
> Add "flycheck-emacs-lisp-initialize-packages" to the file-local
> variables of that file, with a value of t.  This forces Flycheck to
> enable packages when checking the file.

I just tested this, on another MWE:

;;; .emacs-minimal.el --- Test file

;;; Commentary:

;;; Code:

(defun try-require (feature)
  "Attempt to load a FEATURE (or library).
Return true if the library given as argument is successfully loaded.  If
not, just print a message."
  (condition-case err
      (progn (if (stringp feature)
                 (load-library feature)
               (require feature)) t)
    (file-error (message "Requiring `%s'... missing" feature) nil)))

(when (require 'idle-require nil t)
  (setq idle-require-idle-delay 5)
  (setq idle-require-load-break 2))

(when (try-require 'idle-require)
  (setq idle-require-idle-delay 5)
  (setq idle-require-load-break 2))

(provide '.emacs-minimal)

;; This is for the sake of Emacs.
;; Local Variables:
;; flycheck-emacs-lisp-initialize-packages: t
;; flyspell-mode: nil
;; End:

;;; .emacs-minimal.el ends here

See the results on http://screencast.com/t/bnfoDJqBX:

- I still have the variables from the package `idle-require' reported as
  unknown...

- while that's a package which is under ELPA (right now in
  ~/.emacs.d/elpa/idle-require-20090716.3/) and I do have
  `flycheck-emacs-lisp-initialize-packages' set to `t'.

Best regards,
  Seb

PS- A funny thing (?) is that only the first occurrence of the variable
    is reported as unknown.

--
Sebastien Vauban