Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm

From: solidius4747
Subject: Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 07:03:15 -0700 (PDT)

Vào 20:36:32 UTC+7 Thứ sáu, ngày 29 tháng tám năm 2014, Óscar Fuentes đã viết:
> solidius4747@gmail.com writes:
>

> > I wrote a guide for Helm here: http://tuhdo.github.io/helm-intro.html
>

> > Hope it help with your Helm usage if you are new to Helm.
>

> Helm looks impressive.
>

> I have a mature completion environment around ido+flx. One of the killer
>
> features is to quickly navigate huge lists of completion candidates. For
>
> instance, while on a git repo a command allows me to locate a versioned
>
> file, typically taking about 2 seconds for a tree containing tens of
>
> thousands of files. The command is very simple to implement (9 lines).
>

> How difficult is to add a new completion command to helm? Such as
>
> providing it with a list of strings and complete on it?
>

> Can helm use other completion matching methods, such as flx? I regard
>
> flx as more convenient than helm's default matching system.

Helm is quite fast. I tried it on the Linux kernel, and Helm can display all
46678 files and navigation (like move to next/previous line or <next>/<prior>)
is still fast, but not feel as "smooth". If you have anything under 30000
candidates, everything behaves normally. You can try with Projectile using
projectile-find-file to list all files. Be sure to set
helm-candidate-number-limit to 30000 and set projectile-completion-system to
Helm.

You may also interest in "Why Helm is powerful" section