Re: How do I enter a 'œ'?

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: How do I enter a 'œ'?
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:08:28 +0200

On 2014-09-02 11:36, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Why is emacs interpreting that keystroke as C-@?

I found the issue, and it is not emacs. As a mea culpa, here is the
source of the bug.

A long time ago, I experimented with system level key bindings for Cocoa
applications (I'm using OS X, see
http://brettterpstra.com/2014/08/20/keybindings-that-everyone-should-have/
for a recent description of such bindings). In my configuration file,
I had this:

  "~o" = (moveToEndOfParagraph:, insertNewline:);

which means "when Alt and o are pressed together, insert a line after
the current paragraph". And the letter I wanted to input (œ) was done so
using Alt and o. The system intercepted this key combination, and
replaced it with a sequence of events that resulted in C-@ being
received by emacs.

Sorry for the noise,

Alan