Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:27:54 +0100

"Tu, Do" <solidius4747@gmail.com> writes:
>> Ido comes with Emacs, which is a big plus.  Flx can be installed from
>>
>> marmalade repo.
>
> Stock Ido is a bit better than stock find-file but not that much. At least
> with stock find-file, you can open a directory or a file. With Ido, you have
> to switch. You also have to improve Ido with packages.

No, it's really a lot better. You can open a dir or file with ido
(agreed, opening a dir is not an obvious keypress). You can tab down
large directories structures very quickly. ido remebers where you have
been so offers good completions often. You can go up whole directories,
short-cut to "~" and "/". And given a file name you can auto-search.

The only problem with ido is that I miss it when I am not using Emacs
(and for somethings when I am using Emacs). I am interested in helm in
case it is better than ido, but ido is very good.

Phil