Re: Multiple M-x shells sharing input ring

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Multiple M-x shells sharing input ring
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 22:40:48 +0200

> Too bad that `comint-input-ring' is "permanent local".
> Should it be, or is that a bug?

The variable is made local in the comint code with
`make-local-variable'.

Since very different modes are based on comint, making such vars
permanently local seems ok in this case.  You probably don't want to
share an input history between a shell and a scheme buffer.  Using a
global variable is not a good idea here.

> It does not sound to me like `comint-input-ring' fits that description
> at all.
>
> Anyway, presumably you could remove its permanent-local status, by
> removing property `permanent-local' from symbol `comint-input-ring'.
>
> Then you should be able to use `kill-local-variable', to have all
> comint buffers share the same variable (value).  (Dunno whether that
> is what is what Joseph wants.)

It's not that easy, since `comint-mode' does a lot of explicit
`make-local-variable' calls including for `comint-input-ring'.

Michael.