Re: move-beginning-of-line moves to the very beginning instead of where

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: move-beginning-of-line moves to the very beginning instead of where it should
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 07:40:16 +0200

dan <dan.hitt@gmail.com> writes:

> When i type control-A (move-beginning-of-line) in a
> shell or in the minibuffer, it normally moves the
> insertion point right to where it would make sense to
> type (i.e., right after the prompt).
>
> However, sometimes it seems to lose its way, and when
> it does, it quits working everywhere (shell,
> minibuffer), and goes all the way to the beginning of
> the line, rather than right after the prompt.
>
> This happens on mac os x, with emacs 24.3.1 and with
> 22.1.1 (the one bundled with the mac). It takes from
> a day to a few weeks or so to show up.
>
> I've never had that experience with ubuntu, despite
> the fact that my usage is similar (using emacs
> continuously, and leaving it up for months).

Yeah, this is not (shouldn't be) an Emacs-version or
OS/distro issue, it is about the different modes in
Emacs and how they define the "beginning" of a line.

There are modes to show overflow lines on several lines
on your display. That makes sense... but it can make
for confusion like in your case. Instead of
visual-line-mode you can have auto-fill-mode and then
hopefully beginning-of-line will be a better match with
your (and mine) intuition of it.

There are also other functions that you can bind to C-a
- perhaps step 2...

--
underground experts united