Re: emacs and beginning of lines

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: emacs and beginning of lines
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 00:10:58 +0200

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> If you use a VCS and look at a diff from time to
> time, filling might be a bad idea. (Though
> visual-line-mode is not helpful then, either.)

Indeed, there are many times - notably all programming
and configuration modes - where you don't want filling
and absolutely not automatically so.

>> Is there a LaTeX submode for hiding markup or search
>> function to disregard it?
>
> That would be cool. Hiding is much easier, AFAIK
> AUCTeX supports that. Searching might be tricky,
> though. (If all you need is searching for a sequence
> of /words/, it would probably make it easier.

If you can hide markup, what remains to do is a search
function that treaties newlines and whitespace the
same, as it can appear as a newline in the source, but
a whitespace in the .pdf. Very doable.

If you tell me how to hide in AUCTeX I'll install that
instantly and try it.

> Fair enough. OTOH, some things are easier to mark up
> (at least for me) in LaTeX than, say, in Org-mode.
> But it might be the question of experience and my
> habits...

I never tried Org-mode but I heard a lot about it so I
assume it is great. However for me personally I'm a bit
of a fanatic. I don't want any transitions between
representations. I'm not convinced I can write better
HTML, LaTeX, C++ documentation, etc. than Org-mode or
some other tool. But I'm not convinced of the opposite
either. And what tips the scale is that, if I run into
a problem with LaTeX/HTML/etc. I go right to the source
and fix it. If I used a [semi-]WYSIWYG, where would I
go? No, I'll stay close to the heat!

--
underground experts united