Re: Spurious error message?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Spurious error message?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 09:08:23 +0200

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:16:01 AM UTC+5:30, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
>> Rusi  writes:
>
>> > $ emacsclient --alternate-editor emacs foo.txt
>> > emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
>> > To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
>> > After printng which, it starts ok, editing the file!!
>> > IOW I find the error message spurious.
>> > Am I missing something?
>
>> I too think this message doesn't make much sense in this context.  But
>> you can presumably safely ignore it.
>
> Sure its not bugging me too much.
> Just thought it was a sufficiently glaring bug in the basic usage of
> alternate-editor that I may be missing something.
>
> Maybe I'll just file a bug report

When you are on it, maybe you could mention too that the error message
when starting a server while a server with the same name is already
running is to harsh IMO.

Its like calling (require 'foo) and getting
"ERROR: foo already loaded, couldn't require foo"
although everything is fine actually ...

A softer informative message like
"Server <<name>> already running, no restart required"
would be less irritating.

--
cheers,
Thorsten