Re: emacs and beginning of lines

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: emacs and beginning of lines
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 09:58:59 +0200

Dnia 2014-09-09, o godz. 00:10:58
Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> napisaƂ(a):

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>
> > If you use a VCS and look at a diff from time to
> > time, filling might be a bad idea. (Though
> > visual-line-mode is not helpful then, either.)
>
> Indeed, there are many times - notably all programming
> and configuration modes - where you don't want filling
> and absolutely not automatically so.

Is LaTeX mode a programming one? ;-)

https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex/Folding.html

> > Fair enough. OTOH, some things are easier to mark up
> > (at least for me) in LaTeX than, say, in Org-mode.
> > But it might be the question of experience and my
> > habits...
>
> I never tried Org-mode but I heard a lot about it so I
> assume it is great. However for me personally I'm a bit
> of a fanatic. I don't want any transitions between
> representations. I'm not convinced I can write better
> HTML, LaTeX, C++ documentation, etc. than Org-mode or
> some other tool. But I'm not convinced of the opposite
> either. And what tips the scale is that, if I run into
> a problem with LaTeX/HTML/etc. I go right to the source
> and fix it. If I used a [semi-]WYSIWYG, where would I
> go? No, I'll stay close to the heat!

I totally agree - especially with LaTeX, which I know very well.  I
tried to write a scientific article in Org-mode, got immediately
frustrated (not Org's fault - the reason was that it was not LaTeX;))
and switched back to LaTeX.

However, if I'm doing a document which contains TODO items, deadlines
etc., then the ability to export it to html (so I can send it to a
non-Emacs-savvy friend, for instance) is a big win.

And Org's tables - exportable to LaTeX & HTML - are really, really
great.  One time I had a table in LaTeX - two rows and lots of columns
- and needed to transpose it.  Good luck, unless you convert it to
Org-mode (manually, but fast due to string replacing), then transpose
it in Org (one command) and export back to LaTeX's tabular.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University