Re: How to alphabetasize sections?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to alphabetasize sections?
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 07:27:14 +0200

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

>> That's very creative, both of you, but isn't the
>> best way to move all the sections to separate files
>> and then put one-line references in the
>> "motherfile", and simply sort those with
>> `sort-lines'?
>
> I'd say it depends how long the sections they are. If
> they're quite short it's probably best to put them in
> one file. If they're longer than a few pages it's
> probably best to split them.

Yes, of course.

But: when you boil water, the changes from 50 degrees
to 51 degrees or 74 to 75 doesn't mean a thing. But
from 99 to 100 it means the water boils, i.e. has
changed state. Quantity has turned into quality.

If you, like the OP, has decided sorting is necessary
to keep it under control, then that tells me the switch
from 99 to 100 has already occurred. If there were few
or very short sections, sorting wouldn't cross your
mind to begin with, as the situation would have been
possible to grasp by inspection anyway.

Now, this is generally speaking. The OP knows her
situation and if she wants to sort it in one file, that
will be an improvement. But I wouldn't be surprised if
she, soon, will want to have separate files (at the
next stage of 99->100, or 999->1000 perhaps).

The advantages of an organized file system to express
purpose as well as all the practical boosts it gets you
- that's an overlooked thing. Many computer people do
it without thinking. But it still surprises me that you
very rarely read about it in books and tutorials.

--
underground experts united