Re: Always using let*

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Always using let*
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 00:40:05 +0200

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> No, I mean in the development of software. My
> experience is that almost always the deadlines are to
> tight and there is only regard for delivering as soon
> as possible, to keep the run-over as short as
> possible. Taking some time to make it easier for
> someone else (but also yourself) to maintain the
> program later on, would be in my opinion a very wise
> investment.
>
> Something I also often heard (but to be honest less
> often, so there is improvement): we never have time
> to do it correctly, but we always have time to mend
> the bugs. I would think that delivering software with
> less bugs (no bugs is impossible) would be more time
> efficient.

Indeed, deadlines are a joke and they are often setup
by people who have no understanding of the work itself.

Things get done when they get done. Simple as that.

Example: Windows 95 was intended to be ship as
"Windows 93" :)

> Typing code fast is no problem, writing code fast
> could.

What is the difference between typing code fast and
writing code fast?

> To quote Abraham Lincoln: If I had eight hours to
> chop down a tree, I would spend six sharpening my
> axe.

What's wrong with that? What would you do? Chop it down
instantly and then sit idle for seven hours? Better
bring a book and a deck of cards in that case.

--
underground experts united