Re: emacs stackexchange beta site

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: emacs stackexchange beta site
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 01:26:19 +0200

Ian Kelling <ian@iankelling.org> writes:

> Just wanted to share, and bring this up for
> discussion. I'm cross posting to a few emacs mailing
> lists.
>
> http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/76571/emacs

This calls for a Jean-Luc Picard quote:

    The moment I have dreaded for nearly six years has
    finally arrived. The Borg, our most lethal enemy
    have begun an invasion of the Federation, and this
    time there may be no stopping them.

Personally, I don't like the SX sites. I don't like web
interfaces. I don't like the "reputation" system with
up- and downvotes: you should know who your seniors
are, with them having to look like peacocks or
christmas trees.

But what I dislike the most is the attitude to "avoid
extended discussion", keep that in the chat rooms - I
think discussion can be as valuable, and even more so,
than one single correct answer.

But I acknowledge that the SX are a good resource for
solving practical problems. As usual, the key factor
is as much the people using the technology as the
technology itself. There are lots of good programmers
using the SX sites. And the interface, though I
personally don't care for it, is undeniably fast.

As for Emacs in particular, it is a good idea. It will
bring attention to the editor, and beginners will be
helped, quickly. Perhaps someone will even make an
Emacs interface to it, so you can use it from a
terminal Emacs (I once tried with emacs-w3m, but I
couldn't get past the human-verification part). Emacs
is also a good subject for such a site, since there are
so many details you can ask about.

--
underground experts united