Helm, global-rainbow-delimiters-mode and font-lock-unfontify-region

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Helm, global-rainbow-delimiters-mode and font-lock-unfontify-region
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:46:28 +0200

Hello,

what's the rationale of font-lock removing all face text properties?

This is our problem: there is currently the following incompatibility
issue with Helm and global-rainbow-delimiters-mode:

Helm uses the face text property to colorize the completions buffer.  It
doesn't use font-lock-mode.

Now, if you enable global-rainbow-delimiters-mode (and
global-font-lock-mode) and complete with helm, the helm completions
buffer completely appears in the default face.

The problem is that rainbow-delimiers-mode works via font-lock.  It calls
`font-lock-add-keywords', which, at the very end, leads to a complete
erasure of the whole helm buffer's face text properties:

  font-lock-unfontify-region(1 507)
  [...]
  font-lock-default-fontify-region(1 507 nil)
  funcall(font-lock-default-fontify-region 1 507 nil)
  font-lock-fontify-region(1 507)
  run-hook-with-args(font-lock-fontify-region 1 507)
  [...]
  jit-lock-fontify-now(1 501)
  jit-lock-function(1)
  redisplay_internal\ \(C\ function\)()

My question: does one of the packages (Helm, rainbow-delimiters) do
something wrong?  What is the preferred way to handle such an issue
- and at the end - which package should be fixed, and how?

Thanks,

Michael.