auctex font colors

From: ivowel
Subject: auctex font colors
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 09:01:49 -0700 (PDT)

dear emacs wizards:

in auctex, I have absolutely perfect colors under linux in its gnome/X windows.
 the '$' sign for a new line is a nice muted gray.  but if I open emacs inside
a terminal window (with -nw), which I do when I ssh into my computer, the
colors become a whole lot more garish and obtrusive.  the '$' for a new line is
now a bright red.  my guess is that a terminal window pretends to be some sort
of ansi (TERM=xterm,COLORTERM=gnome-terminal), which has more limited colors,
so emacs picks something different from its more limited palette.  correct?

how can I make my with in-terminal colors in auctex similar to my in-Xgnome
colors in auctex?  I could alter the colors that the terminal itself is
displaying.  this is probably not a good idea.  the worst aspect is the bright
red on the $-newline, which I would love to switch to a muted gray.  is there
an easy way just to change at least this one item (permanently) in a terminal
window only?

regards,

/iaw