Re: Re: On Windows(R) Emacs «shell» mode doesn't prints an output.

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Re: On Windows(R) Emacs «shell» mode doesn't prints an output.
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 17:18:22 +0700

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> cmd.exe is not a "normal" console application.  And AFAIK, the /U
> switch only affects output to files and pipes, not to the console.

True.

> And second, there's nothing unsupported about codepage 65001,

OK, my knowledge of Windows console is stuck in the XP era. At that
time, once you switched to 65001, you couldn’t run any batch files or
.cmd scripts[1]. Apparently it was fixed for Windows 7.

[1]: http://consolesoft.com/p/cmd-xp-65001-fix/index.html

And there was this comment thread[2] in the blog of Michael Kaplan,
the guy who was Microsoft’s i18n expert, stating that the multibyte
string API functions are only supported for (up to double)-byte
encodings.

[2]: http://www.siao2.com/2006/07/04/656051.aspx#comment-7971

> the only
> problem with switching the console to that codepage is that the fonts
> available for it in the console cover only a very small portion of the
> BMP, so you don't really get a Unicode-capable console.

I was about to retort that setting a TrueType font with sufficient
coverage (finding which can be left as an excercise to the reader)
gets you at least Western, Cyrillic, Greek and CJK and possibly some
more, but what do I know, compared to a user of a right-to-left
script?