Re: inhibit-modification-hooks set to t globally

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: inhibit-modification-hooks set to t globally
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 17:16:54 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 13:14:46 +0200
>>
>> By looking at the source, I managed to find that I should "watch
>> globals.f_inhibit_modification_hooks", but I could not find a way to set
>> up a condition with "watch". Also I don't know what the condition should
>> be. Can you guide me a little more ?
>
> Maybe the first thing to try is simply something like this:
>
>  (gdb) watch globals.f_inhibit_modification_hooks if
> globals.f_inhibit_modification_hooks == Qt
>  (gdb) commands
>    > xbacktrace
>    > continue
>    > end

I tried these, but testing it with (setq inhibit-modification-hooks t)
did not give anything in the log file, so I suspect I won't ever catch
anything.

If I use
(gdb) watch globals.f_inhibit_modification_hooks
instead, then I get *a lot* of output in the log file. AFAICT, it's
mostly (if not always) because of signal_after_change or
signal_before_change which both issue "specbind
(Qinhibit_modification_hooks, Qt);" at some point.

--
Nicolas Richard