Re: have dired always refresh on changed disk

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: have dired always refresh on changed disk
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 13:17:12 -0700

Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> dired often tells me the disk has changed and I should
> hit "g" to refresh the buffer.
>
> Because dired knows it, it should be simple having it
> always do it, automatically. (But: does dired *always*
> know it?)

[snip]

> Can this be done easily or do I change the code?

I think what you want is `auto-revert-mode'.

The relevant settings I use are:

    (global-auto-revert-mode 1)
    (setq global-auto-revert-non-file-buffers t
          auto-revert-verbose nil)

This will automatically revert (i.e. update from disk) all buffers, but
you can of course limit it to Dired buffers by using the non-global
variation with `dired-mode-hook'.

--
John