How to get Smart Tabs Mode to load?

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: How to get Smart Tabs Mode to load?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:37:06 +0000 (UTC)

I installed Smart Tabs Mode from MELPA using the Emacs package manager.
I've followed the instructions on the older Emacs Wiki and tried some
things from the smart-tabs-mode-readme.txt installed in ~/.emacs.d/elpa
and neither seems to work.  Namely, any time I try calling smart-tabs-
insinuate from ~/.emacs I get an error from Emacs when starting it.  Here
is a partial output with --debug-init:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function smart-tabs-insinuate)
  (smart-tabs-insinuate (quote c))
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/nate/.emacs" nil t)  ; Reading
at buffer position 2726
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/nate/.emacs" "/home/nate/.emacs" t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)

I have checked the load-path and it begins with:

        ("/home/nate/.emacs.d/elpa/smart-tabs-mode-20140331.1629" ...)

I even tried the following lines from the "manual installation"
instructions:

         (autoload 'smart-tabs-mode "smart-tabs-mode"
           "Intelligently indent with tabs, align with spaces!")
         (autoload 'smart-tabs-mode-enable "smart-tabs-mode")
         (autoload 'smart-tabs-advice "smart-tabs-mode")
         (autoload 'smart-tabs-insinuate "smart-tabs-mode")

and still calling (smart-tabs-insinuate 'c) fails.

I am using Emacs 24.3 installed on Debian Unstable.

Even when I am in a C language buffer, I can enable smart-tabs-mode, but
I see no difference with it enabled or disabled.  Perhaps I was trying it
in the wrong place by aligning function arguments on separate lines and I
was getting an extra tab on the second line either way.  Trying the if
construct on the Wiki page, alignment is done with tabs and not spaces
with Smart Tabs Mode enabled.  I am quite puzzled and a bit frustrated
about all of this.

I have no other MELPA packages installed.

Thanks.

- Nate