Re: Elpa packages and Makefiles

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Elpa packages and Makefiles
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 14:31:21 -0400

> If I specify an Elpa package as a :subtree, is this a subtree in the
> sense of the actual "git subtree" command, or is this just a subtree
> merge?

:subtree means that the package is kept in the "master" branch of
elpa.git, in a subdirectory of `packages'.  And if there is a need to
merge from some external VCS, then the merge is typically done by
a "subtree merge".

> git subtree add --prefix packages/gnorb gnorb-remote master --squash

> or this:

> git checkout -b gnorb-branch gnorb-remote/master
> git read-tree --prefix=packages/gnorb -u gnorb-branch

I'm sorry, but I don't spend enough time with Git to know the difference
between these.  The way I do it, usually is by "git merge" which
sometimes doesn't put things at the right place (when it's the initial
importation of the package), so I then clean things up by hand.
The reason I prefer doing that is because I think I know what "git
merge" does, whereas I have difficulty understanding what "git
read-tree" or "git subtree" does.

        Stefan