Re: Emacs for Windows

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs for Windows
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:18:50 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > Ask them to provide up-to-date sources first.
>>
>> Uh?
>
> Not every binary distribution they have has the corresponding source
> distribution.  (Apologies if I missed something, but I really did look
> and didn't find.)

Yes, that's something that catched my attention too.

AFAIK, they provide sources for those packages that belong to them (i.e.
MSYS2 proper). For the rest, the sources are retrieved from their
official sites (i.e. gcc) and then local pactches are applied, if any
exists. This is automated by the Arch Build System (abs for short, that
was ported to MSYS2.) Any user can retrieve a package's source code by
using certain abs commands. The local patches are readily available from
GitHub. If you wish to build the package instead of intalling the
binaries, then retrieving the sources, applying the local paches,
building and installing is nicely automated by abs.

AFAIU this violates the requirement of obtaining the source code from
the binary code distributor.