Re: Emacs for Windows

From: Mirko
Subject: Re: Emacs for Windows
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 07:55:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, October 10, 2014 8:36:41 AM UTC-4, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> There should be demand for a well-researched,
> >> batteries-included distribution.
> > I don't think everything should be in the same zip, though.  Doing so
> > causes trouble in the long run, because different packages have
> > different schedules, and you want to upgrade to the newer versions
> > from time to time.
>
> Isn't there some kind of package distribution system for Windows (à la
> Debian's APT, Redhat's RPM, or MacPorts, Fink, younameit)?
>

>         Stefan

I wish for such a system too.  I currently have several almost identical
installations of Python or TCL, on my Windows machines.  They came bundled with
several commercial or free software simulation packages that use Python or TCL
in the background.

The same need that drives Linux and Cygwin have package maintenance frameworks
exists on Windows.  The lack of clamor for one (as Eli noted in his posts) may
stem from the "if you build it they will come" behavior.

If such a system existed, and was well maintained, it would allow the user base
for that software to grow much faster than now.  That requires a young king
that is willing to raise the sword, lay down the vision, and several knights to
join him in the quest.  Afterwards, more may follow.  Glory and eternal fame to
them.

Mirko