Re: Emacs C tutorial

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs C tutorial
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 11:22:36 +0200

> From: E Sabof <esabof@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 08:53:17 +0000
>
> > The equivalent for C would be to show how to edit some .c file, and
> > re-build Emacs.  Is that what you are looking for?
>
> Yes what to look for when re-building could be interesting (at least to
> someone who's not a C developer).

There's nothing interesting to look at, it's just a "normal" build of
a C program.  The compiler echoes its command lines to compile each
file, then the linker its link command line, then you see the list of
preloaded Lisp files.  That's it.

> An idea could be adding some external library, doing some processing, and
> exposing it to Elisp.

Since Emacs currently doesn't support any kind of FFI, this is hardly
a tutorial-level stuff.  And even if/when we do have FFI, adding a
library through it will require good knowledge of how Emacs represents
data types internally, so that must be mastered first.

Anyway, historically, the best person to add documentation of such
kind is someone who is interested in it.  Consider this an invitation
to start such a tutorial.  TIA.