Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 13:20:44 +0100

> i'm not one of the Emacs maintainers, myself, but i would think this is
> something that needs to be decided by those who package Emacs. Not all
> those packaging Emacs have end-users who want or need the C sources to
> be available, so from the point of view of such packagers, including the
> sources in the package would make it unnecessarily large.

Packagers are not forced to include sources in this case. It's still
optional. Simply the default where to search for them becomes more
reasonable. Users can look it up in "source-directory" and put it there as
"src" on the same level as "bin" would be always available. Similarly those
who want to include sources, can do it without a obligating users to modify
"source-directory" manually in Emacs Lisp.

Furthermore,
> different platforms (e.g. different Linux distros) might differ in where
> such C sources should be located in their filesystem hierarchy
> (e.g. they might have chosen /usr/src/ as the standard location for C
> sources). So it seems to me it might be best for the Emacs build system
> to not make decisions best left to package maintainers.

"bin" should always have "src" near it. So whether one installs Emacs to
"/usr" or to "/usr/local" or wherever else, it would still be valid.