Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 20:20:14 +0100

> I really don't think it is. The only thing I have ever seen use /usr/src
> on GNU/Linux machines is the Linux kernel and other related items where
> the sources are needed for compiling kernel modules.

Perhaps you should look into "/usr/local/src". This is the place where
package managers can fetch the so-called "source packages", those which
contain only the source code.

IMO the only possible location for an optional `install-source' target
> to install to is share/emacs/VERSION/src. I don't expect any pre-built
> binary package of Emacs to ever use such a feature, but I would not have
> a problem with such a patch.

This is also a good idea that I thought about myself. For browsing purposes
only, this is a good place to store sources. Shall we move to emacs-devel
now for further discussion?