Re: Make `r` and `F` behave as `S L` when replying to a message from a m

From: Emanuel Berg
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 00:45:38 +0100

Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> I've just been told that when I reply (`r` or `F`)
> to a message from a mailing list, the `To` is the
> original message sender's address instead of the
> mailing list address, the latter being in the `Cc`
> field.
>
> It appears that it should be enough to use `S L` to
> get the expected behavior (the mailing list address in
> the `To` field, nothing in `Cc`), but I'd like a
> unique keybinding for all the "reply" actions.
>
> Hence my question: how could I make `r` and `F` behave
> as `S L` when replying to a message from a mailing
> list?

I just read this on gnu.emacs.gnus - where it was
quoted (although that message was a bit confusing as
well :) - did you see it?

You are using Gnus, so why not use the mailing lists
as newsgroups?

Or do you use mailing lists that aren't available as
newsgroups, and then mail-split them to sort-of
newsgroups?

But it doesn't really matter - if you found that `S L'
works (`S L' is
`gnus-summary-reply-to-list-with-original'), why don't
you just bind it to a shorter keystroke?

Or do you want it to be exactly `r' and `F', but have
them work transparently based on "is it a private
mail, or is it a listbot mail" DWIM-style?

That would have to involve extracting this from the
headers somehow if Gnus isn't capable to do this
already. In either case, isn't it a lot of work for
such a small gain? Why don't use `S L', or rebind it
to a single key?

--
underground experts united