RE: Comparing last modification time without dired?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Comparing last modification time without dired?
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 06:38:59 -0800 (PST)

> If I have two buffers and want to see which of the corresponding
> files is the more recent, is there a faster way of doing it than running
> dired for each of the corresponding directories?

With Icicles: `C-- C-x C-f TAB`

That is, with a negative prefix arg, `C-x C-f' shows the last
modification date along with the (absolute) file name.  See
attached screenshot.

This date/time is part of the (multi-)completion candidate.
You can type patterns to limit the matches by file name or
date/time, or both.

You can use `C-,' to sort the matching candidates in
different ways, including these date/time-related ways:

* by last file modification time
* by last file access time
* by last use as input, first; alphabetically, if same time
* by last use as input, first; by last access, if same time
* by last use, directories first
* by second parts (the date/time here) alphabetically

When you hit `C-,' the available sort orders are presented
as completion candidates.  Choose one. to reorder the
candidates.  Sort order applies to both candidate display
and cycling.