Re: emacs 24.4 disable popup in minibuffer

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: Re: emacs 24.4 disable popup in minibuffer
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 12:04:31 -0800 (PST)

On Friday, 7 November 2014 19:15:48 UTC, Sam Halliday  wrote:
> On Friday, 7 November 2014 15:11:19 UTC, Stefan Monnier  wrote:
> > > Hmm, I wonder if perhaps one of my melpa packages has updated at the same
> > > time and caused confusion. I'll bisect my .emacs: I'm basically getting
> > > popup completion in the minibuffer now where previously it would show
> > > different options in a new buffer (e.g. C-x b <prefix-TAB>)
> >
> > Since I still don't know what you mean by "popup completion", I can't
> > help you much further.
>
> Popup completion =>
>

> http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx162/fommil/2014-11-07-190723_1918x1078_scrot_zpscf010543.png
>
> Normally my minibuffer is one character tall. Here it is about 11 or 12
> because the popup resizes the minibuffer.
>
> AND I just confirmed that this happens even when I move my .emacs to the
> side, so this has been introduced by either emacs 24.4.1 or debian's site
> plugins.
>
> In fact it looks like debian have done something because
>
>   /usr/bin/emacs --no-init-file --no-site-file
>
> and this goes away.
>
> Sorry all, I should have checked this before posting to the group.

Further to this, I narrowed the problem to this package:

https://github.com/syohex/emacs-popup-complete/blob/master/popup-complete.el

and it's behaviour seems to have changed in emacs 24.4.1 (without it changing).

I'd be greatly obliged if you could have a look and see if there is anything
obvious that could be done to disable the popup in the minibuffer.