Re: emacs 24.4 disable popup in minibuffer

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: emacs 24.4 disable popup in minibuffer
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 13:45:56 -0800

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> and it's behaviour seems to have changed in emacs 24.4.1 (without it
>> changing).
>
> Could someone debug the popup-complete code to try and figure out why
> it's behaving differently?

The package effectively a single function, which is added to
`completion-in-region-functions'.

I see that hook was obsoleted in 24.4, with
`completion-in-region-function' recommended instead, but I'm not sure if
that's related.

The function checks a variable, `popup-complete-enable', to determine
whether it should attempt to offer completions. The workarounds I
suggested to Sam simply ensure that `popup-complete-enable' is nil in
the minibuffer.

However, I'm not familiar enough with either the package or
`completion-in-region-functions' to know whether this a bug somewhere
(and, if so, where), or if this is intended behavior that happens not to
be what Sam wants.

If someone call tell me what "the right thing" is here, a fix should be
trivial.

--
john