RE: Frame for opening rgrep links?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Frame for opening rgrep links?
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 14:44:36 -0800 (PST)

> I typically use Emacs with two frames, one "regular" frame and one
> opened by ecb.
>
> Until a little while ago, running M-x rgrep in the ecb frame and
> clicking on one of the matches in the *grep* buffer opened the file
> in the same (ecb) frame.
>
> Recently, however, emacs has started to open the file in a different
> frame, i.e. the ecb frame keeps showing the *grep* buffer.
>
> I am a bit lost as to what may have caused this, or how I can change
> it back.

Sounds like the window for buffer *grep* is a dedicated window.

Check your values of options `special-display-buffer-names' and
`special-display-regexps'.

Or if you use only option `display-buffer-alist' then check its
value - see the doc for an explanation of this complicated option.
See also the doc of `display-buffer', which you'll need to understand
the doc of `display-buffer-alist' .  Look for an entry that
corresponds by name or regexp etc. to `*grep*' or `*compile*'.