Re: Ways to use Emacs when programming C++ with Visual Studio?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Ways to use Emacs when programming C++ with Visual Studio?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 11:43:35 +0100

3246251196ryan@gmail.com writes:

> I am in the same situation. At work Windows is a must,
> unfortunately. We use Msvc but I am avidly a fan of GNU like things
> and always use emacs for all. So when I first joined I set about
> making emacs my ide.  Only time - like previous poster said - I use vc
> ide is for debugging.
>
> But as another poster said, it will consume time. A lot of times I
> have been working on a problem for work and spent a while hacking
> emacs to get something to work. I have needed to change some things in
> compile . el for instance.
>
> But when it's all set up its very nice. I run compilation mode through
> emacs etc - and with said changes to compile I can jump to the line of
> error etc. I use CEDET/semantic for Intellisense. Vc mode and all the
> rest of it. We use msys at work so that is used in shell mode.
>
> I generally forget I am on windows because all is done on emacs whose
> windows I spread across two monitors and just keep at least a
> permanent middle split of buffers.
>
> I would say it's worth it but expect a little annoyance and thus
> perseverance to hack things around to get it to work.

Its promising that Emacs can be and is used in Windows/MSVS teams,
thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm definitely prepared to invest
some time and effort in this, I only have to find out if its considered
acceptable to 'do your own thing' instead of adapting to the
"environment".

--
cheers,
Thorsten