Re: [git] tracking instead of cloining; was: puplic repo url incorrect o

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: [git] tracking instead of cloining; was: puplic repo url incorrect or server overloaded?
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 15:23:25 +0100

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:43:50 +0100 dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter
> Wilhelm) wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using the address from the EmacsWiki
>> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GitForEmacsDevs#toc4)
>>
>>     git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs
>>
>> It seems to be correct since `git remote show ALIAS' shows seemingly the
>> right content. But with `git fetch ALIAS' I'm getting
>>
>>       fatal: read error: Connection reset by peer
>>
>> or sometimes no response but no download seems to happen...
>>
>> Is this just a sign that the server is overloaded or am I'm doing
>> something wrong?
>
> According to http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs it should be this:
>
> git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git

Right! Cloning is working for me as well.

But I dabbled the last weeks already with the git mirror and now I would
like to track additionally the new Emacs repo with besides my existing
stuff, then rebase my branches and delete the old bzr mirror branches.
To that end I did

  git remote add ALIAS git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git

and when trying to load it with

  git fetch ALIAS

nothing happens, where am I wrong?

        Dieter