Re: Looking for a buffer-cycling library

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: Looking for a buffer-cycling library
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 18:32:02 -0900

* Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> [141114 16:48]:

> Tim Johnson writes:
>
> > I'm looking for a buffer cycling mechanism that will ignore any
> > buffer not loaded from or written to a file.
> >
> > Example - any buffer whose name begins with '*' would be "jumped
> > over"
> >
> > Ideally it would work just like 'buffer-next or 'previous-buffer,
> > but I would still be able to access _all_ buffers from 'buffer-menu.
> >
> > It would have to work in terminal mode and my best imagined use
> > would be from a netbook without split windows.
> >
> > Recommendations are welcome.
>
> Might something like this be what you're after?
>
> --- BEGIN ---
> (defun get-buffers-with-files ()
>   (let ((wanted '()))
>     (dolist (b (buffer-list))
>       (if (buffer-file-name b)
>           (setq wanted (append wanted (list b)))))
>     wanted))
>
> (add-hook 'buffer-list-update-hook #'(lambda ()
>                                        (setq buffers-with-files
> (get-buffers-with-files))))
>
> (defun next-buffer-with-file ()
>   (interactive)
>   (setq buffers-with-files (append (cdr buffers-with-files) (list (car
> buffers-with-files))))
>   (switch-to-buffer (car buffers-with-files)))
>
> (defun previous-buffer-with-file ()
>   (interactive)
>   (setq buffers-with-files (append (last buffers-with-files) (butlast
> buffers-with-files)))
>   (switch-to-buffer (car buffers-with-files)))
  Looks good Alex, I will have to grok it further tomorrow.

  As far as a quick hack, I've seen some good stuff at

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14323516/make-emacs-next-buffer-skip-messages-buffer

  but I thought that a full-blown library might introduce me to some
  other goodies I haven't thought off.

  thanks a lot
--
Tim