RE: Looking for a buffer-cycling library

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Looking for a buffer-cycling library
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 12:18:34 -0800 (PST)

> In Ido, I often use C-SPC, which takes what I've typed so far,
> restricts the set of candidates to all the matches and lets my
> type again.  This way, I can e.g. type one part of the filename,
> then C-SPC, then another part, then cycle.
>
> AFAIR, in Icicles you can do the same, with the difference
> that keybindings are (probably) different, and the mechanism
> is more general.

Yes.  The Icicles key for this is `S-SPC'.  I call this feature
"progressive completion".  It is typically a lot easier, and
quicker, to incrementally apply simple patterns to match than
it is to try to come up with a single complex pattern that is
equivalent.

http://www.emacswiki.org/Icicles_-_Progressive_Completion

http://www.emacswiki.org/Icicles_-_Nutshell_View#ProgressiveCompletion

A related feature for narrowing choices is what I call "chipping
away the non-elephant": matching candidates that you want to
exclude instead of include.

http://www.emacswiki.org/Icicles_-_Nutshell_View#ChippingAway