Re: Looking for good element parser

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Looking for good element parser
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:26:34 +0800

Paul Rankin <paul@tilk.co> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I maintain a package that exports the Fountain screenplay markup to
> HTML. Currently it uses text-properties set with font-lock to figure out
> what elements are what, but I think this is perhaps not the best
> approach.
>
> I've been looking at org-element.el but it's a little overwhelming for
> my Jedi skills. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good text
> element parser that's maybe a little simpler than org-element.el?
>
> Or, failing that, should I just use `while' through the buffer doing a
> `cond' on every element? Seems like overkill...

The Org export routine is only suited to exporting from an Org file to
something else, ie you'd be more likely to write your screenplay in Org
format, and then export it to Fountain markup. So that's probably not
what you're looking for.

If you give a little sample of what Fountain markup looks like, you'll
probably get better responses...

Yours,
Eric