Re: how to keep cursor stationary when scrolling with mouse

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: how to keep cursor stationary when scrolling with mouse
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 03:24:06 +0100

JohnF <john@please.see.sig.for.email.com> writes:

> But it keeps the point/cursor stationary on the
> screen when scrolling with keyboard keys Page and
> Arrow Up/Down. That's what I want.

Are you sure you don't want a keystroke that doesn't
involve moving your hands from typing position? :)
Like M-i and M-k for scrolling a single line without
moving point? Just saying...

> But when scrolling with the mouse, either with its
> wheel or by dragging the right-hand side slider bar,
> the cursor reverts to default behavior, following
> the text and jumping back to center when scrolling
> past the page top/bottom. I've failed to google how
> to stop that. What can I put in .emacs so that the
> point/cursor remains stationary on the screen,
> rather than following the text, when scrolling with
> the mouse? Thanks,

I don't know because I don't use the mouse, but I
scroll without moving point (unless scrolling scrolls
a whole screen of lines), probably you can use exactly
the same, binding the mouse to it. But try it
keyboard-only first, see if you like it.

Here is the scroll stuff, I have M-i and M-k to
scroll-up-1 and scroll-down-1:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/scroll.el

--
underground experts united