Re: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:47:21 -0500

In article <mailman.14479.1416849631.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> > The usefulness of frames is evident for buffers that update their
> > content according to the current buffer (like Speedbar and ECB).
> > Besides this kind of use, when do you prefer frames instead of
> > windows?
>
> Personally, almost always.  A window-manager window (Emacs frame)
> is more flexible than an Emacs window - more features/possibilities.
>
> Emacs windows were conceived long, long ago - before window
> managers were supported/recognized by Emacs and even, for the
> most part, before they existed.  They are vestigial organs that
> have some limited uses but are generally not the best way to
> interact, IMO.

Yes, they came about on ASCII terminals, long before graphical
interfaces became common.

Since I've been using Emacs since those days, I long got used to using a
single frame with Emacs windows in it. Now, even though I use it on a
Mac with a wide screen, I still can't get into the habit of using
multiple frames.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA