RE: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:21:51 -0800 (PST)

> Modern X Windows environments have keybindings for common operations
> on frames.  However, Microsoft Windows only has a few of those, to
> tiresome switching between the keyboard and mouse is needed.  I use
> both X and MS Windows daily.  I generally prefer using Emacs windows
> rather than frames becuase they can be manipulated using the keyboard
> on all platforms.

It should be possible, out of the box, to do that in Emacs itself.
One set of keys for all platforms, and any set of keys you yourself
choose.

I wrote:

 > With Emacs this is even better, as you can manipulate frames
 > using the keyboard, not just the mouse.
 >
 > However, out of the box, support for using Emacs frames is pretty
 > primitive.  So I jump through a bunch of configuration hooks to
 > be able to use them easily (including keyboard manipulation).

You need to be able to do the same kinds of things with frames
that you can do with Emacs windows - *from the keyboard* (and with
a mouse). Including move around incrementally, resize incrementally,
cycle/choose, tile/split, and so on.

I use Emacs that way, but as I say, this is not provided out of the
box with `emacs -Q'.  (It should be, IMO.)

I really would be interested in people's answers to my question, BTW: