Re: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?
Date: 25 Nov 2014 17:32:04 GMT

Drew Adams wrote:
> I would ask an opposite question: IF you could use Emacs frames
> as easily as you can use Emacs windows, in what scenarios would
> you prefer using Emacs windows, and why?

The one thing I like about Emacs windows as opposed to frames is that
they resize automatically: when you create one, another window is
reduced in size, so that the new window doesn't cover it, and when you
delete one, another one grows in order to occupy the space that becomes
available.

I tend to work in a single window occupying a maximised frame, and when
I want/need to do something else, I usually switch to that buffer. (I'm
perfectly happy letting mu4e or ebib or ediff or whatever take over the
entire window, hiding what I was working on before.) When I do split the
one window, it's usually for something I only need to take a quick look
at (help buffer, error messages, etc.) I don't want that window to cover
what is in my "main" window, and I want to get rid of the extra window
as soon as I'm done with it.

AFAIK this automatic resizing isn't possible or at least not as easy
with frames. I find this a definite advantage of windows over frames,
and to be honest, I don't see what advantages frames have over windows.
(You mention they have more features/possibilities, but I'm not sure
which features you mean...)

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)