Re: Ways to use Emacs when programming C++ with Visual Studio?

From: Mike
Subject: Re: Ways to use Emacs when programming C++ with Visual Studio?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:40:41 -0800 (PST)

On Monday, November 24, 2014 3:00:43 PM UTC-8, Ken Goldman wrote:
> On 11/6/2014 8:09 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> > Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> I'm really new to this C++ thing, so I would
> >> appreciate some tips
>
> My pattern:
>
> I use emacs for heavy coding.
>
> I use Visual Studio for compiling, fixing minor coding errors that the
> compiler finds, and for debugging.
>
> I use autorevert to keep the emacs buffers in sync with disk.  There's a
> similar setting in VS.
>
> It might seem odd, but I believe in the best tool for the job.  Emacs is
> a great editor for coding.  VS is a great debugger, easier to set up and
> use (IMHO) than eclipse.

I agree with you.  That was the way I would use it.  Emacs for editing, but in
the debugging phase use VS and make the hopefully small changes debugging would
throw up through the VS editor.
I would just keep exitting and re-starting emacs to ensure I got the edits I
had made in VS.  Thanks for letting me know about autorevert.  I'll try that
out.
Sometimes, even during debugging, I'd find that the edits I wanted to make were
easier using Emacs.  So I'd make the changes in Emacs, then I would close every
file window in VS, save all the files open in Emacs, then tell VS to rebuild
everything!  Not really much fun, but as Emacs is my favorite editor by far,and
VS my favorite debugger for Windows, I could not find a better way.