Re: When do you prefer windows instead of frames? Was: When do you prefe

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: When do you prefer windows instead of frames? Was: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:31:43 +0700

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 12:40 AM, MBR <mbr@arlsoft.com> wrote:

> Be very careful with the phrase "use ... as easily as you can use ...".
[…]
> Yes, but typing C-x o is something I can do easily because it involves two
> fingers on the left hand immediately followed by one finger on the right
> hand, without fingers my ever having to leave home position.  C-x 5 o, on
> the other hand[…]

Here you presuppose existing Emacs bindings. Which, as already known,
do not satisfy the “as easily as” criterion.

On the other hand, consider the windmove and framemove packages.
windmove gives you easy bindings, by default Shift+arrows[1], that
switch to an adjacent window in the given direction. Then, framemove
hooks into that and when you don’t have an adjacent window in the
indicated direction, it switches to an adjacent frame in that
direction.

[1]: if you use cua-mode, it makes sense to rebind windmove to e.g. Alt+arrows.