Re: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:12:07 +0100

On 2014-11-25 14:54, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:

> But the main obstacle, IMO, is that few people use frames a lot,
> and with fewer users there is not the necessary consideration
> of cross-functional behavior (e.g. how this or that feature
> plays well with frames).

The main reason why I don't use frames is because the window manager on
OS X lacks too many features (in particular regarding multiple desktops
and keyboard navigation). So I use a single emacs frame in full screen
mode, and workgroups2 to manage several groups of windows (this is quite
useful for modes that enjoy destroying carefully arranged windows, yes
gnus I'm looking at you).

I was using multiple (full screen) frames instead of workgroups at some
point, but I stopped because ERC notifications would not be aware of the
frame being visible or not, so I would get no notification at all. Also,
the possibility of restoring frames using desktop.el was not available
then (I think it's new in emacs 24.4).

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7