Re: Why is it not possible to use "nil" any more in init files ?

From: Alexandre Oberlin
Subject: Re: Why is it not possible to use "nil" any more in init files ?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:45:24 +0100

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:15:12 +0100, Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:

This is somewhere in between. I certainly used to do
(add-hook 'blah 'wanted-mode)
which generally works.
Then I found out about
(add-hook 'blah 'turn-on-wanted-mode)
which works better. But many people did the former. Now it works
correctly as well.
Looks like there is a huge difference with the new minor mode setting issue: the above adds clarity and does not break any backward compatibility, so it is a good move, just like x-get-selection should be be preferred to x-selection in new code, but x-selection still works. This approach of adding more specific and unambiguous function names without breaking anything could perfectly have been used for the mode setting issue. Taking enriched-mode (which I use all the time) as an example, one could have added:
(set-enriched-mode) and (unset-enriched-mode)
while leaving the intrinsically ambiguous (enriched-mode) toggling as well in evaluation as interactively.

I don't understand why you can't seem to see that
it's a compromise that advantages many.
This reminds me of parents who don’t understand why they should be strict with their kid, when laxity brings contentment to the kid and peace to themselves... for some time ;-)

Cheers,

Alexandre