Re: manual activism

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: manual activism
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 04:53:30 +0100

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

> What kind of point are you trying to make?
>
> I read the Kon-Tiki book in my youth. It was good,
> but I see no need to read it again.
>
> Masters of Deception appears to be available as a
> free ebook. I'll download it when I get a chance.
>
> I'm still not anywhere near a Public Library and if
> you are trying to imply I need to visit a library,
> you are demonstrably wrong.

Yeah, OK. I got the impression you never read a book,
like in your entire life. I'm happy that wasn't the
case :)

The point is: many people say they don't need books,
books are a thing of the past, they aren't good for
the environment, and so on.

Those people may be somewhat right from their horizon.
If they mean they are fine with looking up a fact or
two in their e-book manuals, or pass some time on the
subway, OK, they don't need books.

But there are many people that read books all the
time. They read hundreds every year. Especially girls
but there are such guys as well. For them to switch to
e-books only is not only very impractical and totally
unrealistic but also undesirable, and I'm not one to
say what that will do to their minds and bodies, but
it ain't good.

When *such a person* tells me "I don't need books, I
use my device" then I'll believe it. But I don't see
that happening too soon or too often, if ever.

As for the environment... Trees are not exactly like
oil. Besides, we must also consider factors like the
total lack of consumption while reading. It is not
only the book itself. A lot of people drink soda
because they are bored, and restless. In the public
library, there is a lot of books but much less soda.
Book-worms should have among the lowest levels of
consumption of all people I can think of!

So it isn't a competition who reads more books because
that would be immature :) and besides then the e-book
readers will be totally obliterated. It is just e-book
readers, and those who pretend to be, should not be
outspoken about books because it ain't their domain.
Stick to fiddling with those devices and be all
hypnotized about it.

--
underground experts united